How to Serve a Divorce Petition

It is important to ensure a Divorce Petition is served correctly so you can proceed further with your Divorce.

If the Respondent has failed to return the Acknowledgement of Service, the Court will not allow you to move forward with the Divorce until you are able to confirm the Petition has been served. You can ask the Court Bailiff to attend and serve the Petition for you. They will charge you a fee for doing so. You can also instruct a Process Server to serve the Divorce Petition for you. Instructing a Process Server usually costs less than the Court Bailiff and can also be a quicker option for service.

Serving a Divorce Petition in the UK can be a complicated process especially where the Respondent is evasive and unwilling to accept service. If the Respondent is evasive then you will need to demonstrate to the Court the efforts made to serve the Petition. The Court Bailiff will simply return the file to Court with a certificate of non-service. This will not help you move forward and offer you little or no benefit. A Process Server differs from the Court Bailiff both in terms of the times they will attend the address to serve the Petition and also what they will d for you if the struggle to serve the Petition for you.

If a Process Server is unable to serve the Petition they will provide you with a Statement of Attempted service setting all the efforts made to bring the Petition to the Respondents attention. If the Petition has been served via letterbox as a last resort, then you can use this as evidence and apply for deemed service or to dispense with service altogether. If the Court accept reasonable efforts have been made or the Petition has been served then you can move to the next stage of your Divorce.

To ensure the papers are served on time and served correctly it is wise to employ the service of a experienced Process Server. A Process Server will ensure that your papers are served as required. Once served the Process Server will usually provide you with either a Statement of Service or a Statement of Attempted Service which you will need to lodge at Court.

To instruct a process server by following this link.

Fixed Fee Process Serving

We make the service of legal papers in the UK a simple and cost effective process. One of our Process Servers, enquiry agents, investigators or bailiffs will normally attend the address within 48 hours of receiving the papers from us. We usually serve papers in the UK for a Fixed Fee.

We can also attend the same day as receipt for urgent matters. Normally we will attend the address and serve the papers for an agreed fixed fee, returning proof of service to you once the job has been completed along with a report.

We serve every type of process including: -

If you would like to instruct a Process Server click here for further information on how to do so. If you would like a Quotation simply complete the form below.

Process Server Court Order

Call us: 0113 286 8380

Quick Enquiry

See Also

Our website includes information on the service of:


We accept instructions that are Legally Aided